Monday, June 25, 2012

Lunch from the Garden: Garlic Scape Pesto and Stir-Fried Chard


I just harvested my garlic scapes and have had pesto on my mind. This time I made my pesto with garlic scapes and toasted almonds instead of basil and pine nuts. The flavor was really unique. I invite you to give it a try!




Garlic scapes can be found at farmers markets... or next year grow you own garlic! Here's a nice video on how to plant garlic by Josh at Territorial Seeds.


Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe:

10 large garlic scapes
1/3 cup toasted almonds
1/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine first 4 ingredients and puree. Add olive oil and puree still smooth.
Adapted from an epicurious.com recipe.

Extra pesto can be frozen. Great for a quick and satisfying meatless meal.


No comments: